Sunday, January 6, 2013

Paris: King Cakes, Mustard, and Macarons

The Parisian King Cakes were
quickly devoured when I got home
I just returned from another trip to Paris, where I brought home two galette des Rois - king cakes as they're known in my home town of New Orleans. The French version is more like a big puff-pastry unlike the New Orleans cinnamon roll style. Instead of a plastic baby inside, the French version has a small porcelain object such as the miniature croissant and baguette we found in ours. I bought one galette from Moisan in the 14th and the other from Paul. Both were great.

Maille mustard on tap
I also went to the Maille mustard boutique at Place de la Madeleine and reloaded several refillable ceramic mustard jars. Maille refills mustard out of 'taps' in the store which resemble traditional beer taps. The mustard is always very fresh and spicy. On the way back down Rue Royale, I passed a huge line of people on the sidewalk outside LadurĂ©e. It was Saturday night and everybody was in the cake buying mood.

Macaron art at Laduree



Lastly, posters for Django Unchained were everywhere around Paris. I'd seen the film the night before leaving for my trip and wondered how Europeans will perceive this controversial take on America's past.